With Divemaster out of the way, the natural progression is Assistant Instructor. Devoted dive professionals motivated to share their love of diving will find the Assistant Instructor program exactly what you they are looking for: actual teaching and assisting! This program teaches you how to teach and the responsibility for others. Under supervision, you will gain first-hand experience in both the classroom and pool. Assistant Instructor is the necessary foundation for teaching on your own and becoming an SSI Open Water Instructor
This program provides the skills, concepts, and teaching experience required to become a successful SSI Instructor. You will learn the SSI Teaching System and philosophy, how to assist Instructors in training and how to independently teach a variety of SSI training programs. Candidates who complete this program can earn the SSI Assistant Instructor rating or work all the way through to the SSI Open Water Instructor after having successfully passed the Instructor Evaluation in addition.
As an AI you are allowed to teach:
- Independently teach and certify Try Scuba, Perfect Buoyancy and Scuba Skills Update programs.
- Teach all academic and pool sessions of the Open Water Diver program (with the exception of the emergency skills) under the indirect supervision of an instructor.
2018 SSI Professional Program Update
What is the 2018 Update?
We have recently updated all our professional programs to provide you with the latest knowledge, training, and instructional methods needed to become a successful SSI Dive Professional.
This will affect the look, layout, and behavior of your digital learning materials until the phase-out of the old materials is complete.
What does it look like?
The 2018 Update combines the digital learning for the Assistant Instructor and Open Water Instructor programs into a single program, streamlining the process and ensuring that all SSI Assistant Instructor and Open Water Instructor candidates have the skills and knowledge they need to complete their training.
Assistant Instructors are responsible from the first 6 chapters of ITC 2018 content.
To prepare for the Assistant Instructor Seminar, you should review and be familiar with the following items:
- SSI General and Training Standards
- Student and professional MySSI accounts
- SSI Training Records (available from your dive center)
- Open Water Diver Instructor Manual
- Try Scuba Instructor Manual
- Perfect Buoyancy Instructor Manual
- Scuba Rangers Instructor Manual
The Instructor Training Course (ITC) has three components:
- Digital Learning: SSI developed this program using modern Educational Management System (EMS) technology. It is designed to provide you with the knowledge required to complete your training in an easy-to-understand, logical sequence.
- Academic Sessions: These include lectures, instructor-led active learning sessions, and other interactive activities. They apply the knowledge gained from the digital learning in a practical, real-world environment. By completing these sessions, you will gain an understanding of what it takes to become a dive professional.
- Practical Application Sessions: This is the final component of your training, where you will further develop the skills and experience required by a dive professional. You will develop and be evaluated on your ability to conduct academic and in-water training sessions, control and evaluate students, and promote SSI teaching and business philosophies for the benefit of both yourself, the dive center, and the entire dive industry.