Start teaching diving!
For SSI, the most important step in a Dive Professional’s career is becoming a person who can train new divers – the SSI Open Water Instructor. The Open Water Instructor’s mission is to inspire and inﬂuence beginners to grow in their diving experiences with the goal of making them committed divers. The goal of the Instructor Training Course (ITC) is to increase your business and industry knowledge, expand your teaching skills and add professional retail presentation experience through modern workshops and practical applications. It is an opportunity to learn how to deliver “The Ultimate Dive Experience!”
The SSI Instructor Training Course is a unique program that has stood the test of time. In order to stay competitive in today’s diving industry, the program has been updated to ensure that all Dive Professionals are equipped with the latest in digital technology, dive retail and resort information. A newly certifed SSI Open Water Instructor can be absolutely sure to have all necessary knowledge, skills and experience to work productively.
Open Water Instructors are independently allowed to teach:
- Scuba Diver, Indoor Diver and Open Water Diver,
- Advanced Adventurer,
- Enriched Air Nitrox,
- Diver Stress & Rescue and
- Dive Guide programs.
8 REASONS TO BECOME AN SSI INSTRUCTOR
1. DIVERSITY SSI Dive Professionals beneft from a variety of training programs – Snorkeling, Freediving, Scuba Diving and Extended Range including Rebreathers in more than 30 languages.
2. QUALITY For more than 45 years, SSI has provided quality training materials and professional education. SSI is one of very few training agencies that qualifes for the prestigious ISO global certifcate which provides better career options for SSI Dive Professionals.
3. FLEXIBILITY The SSI Total Teaching System and Training Standards are the perfect blend of structure and ﬂexibility. Flexibility means that SSI trains Dive Professionals who are capable of making decisions to be successful in the industry and meet the needs of the customer.
4. EDUCATION SSI digital programs set a whole new standard in diver education – an “Integrated Learning System” with full HD videos, animation, illustrations and photos to stimulate learning and ensure better retention.
5. REAL TIME Digital Certifcations are instant! With the DiveSSI App everything happens in real time. If a physical card is what the customer wants, it’s still possible – central print or even in-store print.
6. BENEFIT SSI Dive Professionals pay one renewal fee for their highest Instructor rating. There is no extra charge for all the additional ratings. SSI Instructors also receive the most current digital student and instructor materials, PEG’s and fnal exams at no additional charge for the programs they are certifed to teach.
7. POWER SSI has the best dive leader training progression in the industry, starting with Dive Guide.
With additional training, Dive Control Specialist Instructors may conduct staﬀ crossovers without
having to send the crossover candidate to somebody else. Instructor Trainer opportunities are available and motivated candidates are always welcome.
8. DEMAND The SSI Dive Center and Resort network is expanding so rapidly that the demand for full or part time Dive Professionals is at an all-time high, creating limitless career opportunities around the world.
2018 SSI Professional Program Update
What is the 2018 Update?
We have recently updated all our professional programs to provide you with the latest knowledge, training, and instructional methods needed to become a successful SSI Dive Professional.
This will affect the look, layout, and behavior of your digital learning materials until the phase-out of the old materials is complete.
What does it look like?
The 2018 Update combines the digital learning for the Assistant Instructor and Open Water Instructor programs into a single program, streamlining the process and ensuring that all SSI Assistant Instructor and Open Water Instructor candidates have the skills and knowledge they need to complete their training.
Open Water Instructor candidates should also review and be familiar with:
- Diver Stress and Rescue Instructor Manual
- Dive Guide Instructor Manual
- Advanced Adventurer Instructor Manual
- Enriched Air Nitrox Instructor Manual
The Instructor Training Course (ITC) has three components:
- Digital Learning: SSI developed this program using modern Educational Management System (EMS) technology. It is designed to provide you with the knowledge required to complete your training in an easy-to-understand, logical sequence.
- Academic Sessions: These include lectures, instructor-led active learning sessions, and other interactive activities. They apply the knowledge gained from the digital learning in a practical, real-world environment. By completing these sessions, you will gain an understanding of what it takes to become a dive professional.
- Practical Application Sessions: This is the final component of your training, where you will further develop the skills and experience required by a dive professional. You will develop and be evaluated on your ability to conduct academic and in-water training sessions, control and evaluate students, and promote SSI teaching and business philosophies for the benefit of both yourself, the dive center, and the entire dive industry.